Credit : BMW, via BMW Blog
- The future BMW i Hydrogen NEXT fuel cell electric vehicle is scheduled to be unveiled in 2022
- Based on the current X5 generation
- The hydrogen fuel cell powertrain architecture generates up to 125 kW / 170 PS (168 hp) of electric output from the chemical reaction between the hydrogen in the vehicles storage tanks and oxygen in the ambient air.
- Maximum power from the fuel cell and the high-voltage battery mounted atop the rear-mounted motor is said to be 275 kW/368 hp
- Regenerative braking will be used to partially recharge the battery.
- BMW positions two hydrogen storage tanks pressurized to 700 bar/10,000 psi. Together they can hold up to 6 kilograms of liquid hydrogen
If demand is there, if market conditions are right and if there are hydrogen fuel stations, then BMW might be ready to build a hydrogen fuel cell car that looks a lot like a BMW X5 SUV someday.
Let’s see more interesting details in the following video previewing the new FCEV technology.
More details on :